Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I feel the need to say something regarding this holiday.

During the morning announcements, our principal read a short message written by President Bush regarding Veteran's Day. It added to the length of the announcements and meant that we had a few more minutes of homeroom and a few less minutes of our first period. Later, in the copy room, one of the teachers was complaining that the message was read to interrupt 1st period. My only comment back to her was that I was glad we acknowledged the celebration. Kathy's school did not even mention it.

I was shocked. Not for nothing, and its not like I wore red, white and blue, or walked around looking to thank a veteran but you know, people gave up there lives for a country and freedoms they never got to enjoy themselves. Not to mention, they were doing something that I would never in a million years want to do, nor do I think I am courageous enough to do. A few things in life are more important than being able to get my whole lesson in a 50 minute period.

Here is a video that one of the social studies teachers sent to the staff in memory of Veteran's Day. It is a Canadian video so the uniforms are a bit different however the sentiment is the same.

No comments: