Sunday, October 5, 2008

My thoughts about General Conference

Well, for us on the east coast, conference just ended. I managed to watch all five sessions. For the most part. I am sure I nodded off a little and I was doing some school work and listening through another bit of it, but for the very most part, I watched all of it.

A couple things impressed me. I noticed during the first Saturday session, including Pres. Uchtdorf, there were four foreign born speakers. Also, Sundays second session had two foreign born speakers. That is six in total. I do not remember this happening before. I think that is cool. I know we are a world wide church. I know we have missions all over the world. It is really cool to see the foreign speakers. And they were not from all the same place. Maybe two from Brazil, one from France, one from Uruguay, Germany of course. Anyway, cool stuff.

Speaking of Uchtdorf, his talk on hope was awesome. I am not one to take notes during conference, however I am thinking I might change my ways after this because I cannot remember exactly what he said about things we hope in lead us to charity and things we hope for lead us to faith. Is that it? I am not sure. I liked his talk none-the-less.

M. Russel Ballard (I think) used a phrase that I am going to ponder for a while. Superficially righteous. That phrase has been ringing in my ears since he said it. I think it has been ringing in my ears because I am very critical of myself, always have been. First, I am trying to come up with a definition of that phrase that I am satisfied with. Second, I want to make sure that phrase does not describe me.

Pres. Monson rules. I truly enjoyed his talks. I cannot remember all of his talk from priesthood session but it was good. I remember liking it. I eagerly anticipate being able to get these talks in print and being able to review them again.

I do not remember feeling this way about a GC for a long time and I am pretty excited about it. Anyway, if any of you have thoughts to add about conference or can help me in my pursuit of understanding, please leave a comment or shoot an e-mail. I know I have some pretty smart friends and family and hope you can offer some of your insight to me.

No comments: